Friday, December 24, 2010

Cleansed

I was recently perplexed as I witnessed an over-the-road trucker stuffing his groceries into his tractor-trailer. A struggle with his carts, as he pushed one and pulled the other, got my attention in the first place. But what amazed me was he dragged each cart past his shiny red sleeper extended cab and opened a door to the trailer. Even more perplexing was the fact he was currently hauling a trailer that transports pigs.

Living in the Central United States, these large trailers, termed 'pig trucks' by my children, frequently travel the highway which weaves through our small town. Over the years, when my son has seen such a truck approaching, he'd shout out a resounding warning "Pig Truck!" and quickly hold his nose.

My senses have experienced several pig trucks up close and personal. The memories made me shudder in disgust as I watched the man pile groceries and other necessities into the filth of his trailer. What was he thinking? All his food would surely be contaminated. I couldn't explain the logic behind his actions.

As I continued to watch in amazement, I was reminded how God had executed a similar action. In order to redeem us, God chose to live among us. Jesus saw our sin with human eyes, and rubbed shoulders with our filth. Yet, Christ gave Himself as a spotless lamb untainted by our world. What mind would have ever thought of such a plan?

But God's plan didn't stop there. He chose to place His Spirit, a gift sacred and holy, into fallen man. Before He enters to do His inner work, the heart and life of each man is filled with filth. Each could be judged and the following sentence declared-

Unfit. Dirty. Unworthy. Condemned. Fit for destruction.

Hallelujah, God's plan overthrows the condemning sentence. In Him, we can be created anew. He can declare us-

Cleansed. Beautiful. Righteous. Forgiven. Chosen.

I know this illogical story to be true. I have experienced it myself. Yet, I still find it hard to fully comprehend. Oh, the mystery of God's plan! What wondrous grace and mercy it displays. Although I cannot reason it out, I long for the day it is finally complete and I will bow before His throne. I will be cleansed, wearing a robe of salvation which is white as snow.

Ah, sinful nation, a people loaded with guilt, a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption! They have forsaken the LORD; they have spurned the Holy One of Israel and turned their backs on him.

"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow."


Isaiah 1:4,18

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete