Friday, June 11, 2010

Bloom Where You Are Planted, Then Bloom Again

Several weeks ago, the backyard was covered in a spray of color. My spring flowers had been well-watered from the gentle rains and stood tall and proud of their beauty. They attracted many hummingbirds and the fragrance they gave forth was well worth the effort of caring for them. But as time slipped by, the flowers began to lose their vibrant colors. Before long, all that remained was an ugly evidence that the blooms were long past.

Since the fragrance was no longer detectable and the flowers had become an eyesore, I retreated to the garage to find my clippers. With clippers in hand, I sat and carefully cut the stem of each and every wilted flower in hopes of spurring the plants to bloom once again. Even if the plants did not, I was satisfied that the plants appeared much healthier with the dead parts removed.

Several days passed and I noticed the plants had produced another round of small buds. Obviously, removing the dead flowers and stems had allowed the plants to focus on producing new growth. In several days, I am expecting my yard to once again be filled with beautiful, fragrant flowers and the benefits that accompany them.

As I look forward to enjoying new flowers, I can't help but wonder what area of my own life needs pruning. While I am happy to bloom where I am planted, I often resist when the Master Gardener takes out his pruners to remove what was once beautiful and fragrant, but has lost its luster. Although the pruning is uncomfortable for a time, the result is a life that is able to bloom again, bring glory to the Father.

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vineyard keeper. Every branch in Me that does not produce fruit He removes, and He prunes every branch that pruduces fruit so that it will produce more fruit."

John 15: 1-2, HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment