Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Highlights

In reading through the Bible this year, I recently started through the long lists of OT kings that led the divided nation of Israel. At the same time, my study partner, Susan, and I were studying the kings. Susan and I agreed the names can be confusing and hard to pronounce. The dates of their reigns seem to overlap and we couldn't seem to keep them all straight. But, in spite of my confusion, God was able to teach me a valuable lesson.

Susan was quick to point out the following things. Many times in Scripture God gives us a detailed description of a life. With these many kings, that didn't seem to be the case. What she did notice was that God gave the same information for the many kings listed. He thought it important to share with us the highlights.

What God was purposeful in sharing was the following things:
- The dates and major details of their reigns.
- The major battles each faced, listing defeats and victories.
- Their use (or misuse) of the power He gave them.
- Thier faithfulness or lack thereof.

As we sat and discussed these facts, we realized that it was this same information that mattered most in our lives. While I am busy living life from day to day, I gander the heavenly scribes are making notes on the important highlights of my life. In between the dates of my birth and death, I'm sure they are recording the major battles I have faced. I pray I have experienced more victories than defeats. Sometimes it is hard to step back and let Him fight for me. I'm now convinced they are recording how I use the power He has given me. I long to show myself a worthy parent, friend and leader. He has placed many in my path of influence and I need to be continually aware of the power that brings. And, finally, I hope to remain faithful, no matter what life seems to throw my way.

More than any earthly crown, I want to earn a crown of righteousness on that great judgement day. When God looks back over the highlights of my life, I hope His heart is filled with pride and His face breaks into a smile. I wait to hear Him say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment