Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Express Care

I sat and waited for my husband and daughter to return from the Express Care Clinic. Our daughter was injured in a sporting event. We have learned that athletic ability does not necessarily prevent injury. After a thorough examination and x-rays, our young athlete arrived home 3 hours later with her hand efficiently bandaged and a list of instructions. Apply ice three times a day. Medication for pain as needed. A brace was to be worn continuously. And limited physical activity for a week. Our daughter wasn't very happy. In fact she was past disappointed. She was angry. She doesn't like sitting on the sidelines.

I immediately thought of a recent conversation I had with a fellow believer. The acquaintance spoke of a personal hurt she had experienced. While I didn't ask for details, it was clear she had been offended by someone in ministry at her local church. Her emotions had moved past disappointment and on to something that looked more like anger. As I listened to her words, it became clear that she had been unable to move past the offense. Her hurt and anger had resulted in an intentional pulling away from her church, her Pastor, and even our God. She had chosen to place herself on the sidelines.

When was the last time you were hurt in this game of life? No matter how skilled you are at dealing with people, injuries and offenses are inevitable. When you find you've been offended, how do you react? Do you turn to the Great Physician for immediate care? Are you willing to follow the instuctions He provides to remedy your situation? Do you follow His advice until the pain is gone and complete healing has occured?

Here are a few scriptures to consider regarding offenses:

It is impossible that no offenses should come. -Luke 17:1

Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. -Romans 12:17

Do not grumble against one another, brothern, lest you be condemned. -James 5:9

Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. -Ephesians 4:31-32

And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins. -1 Peter 4:8

Forgive and you will be forgiven. -Luke 6:37


Despite the challenges that come from living beside carnal people, God is able to empower us to forgive. If we submit to his Spirit, we are able to love with His love. It is pride and self that remind our hearts of offenses. But God requires us to extend mercy. He desires us to remain in the game, working to our full potential as a team player. An inability to forgive and let go will undoubtedly leave us ineffective and on the bench.

Dear Lord,
When I am honest with myself I must admit that I struggle in this area. I can easily reflect and see times when I have withdrawn from your people and your purpose due to hurts I have encountered. Please help me to continually lean on You so I can extend mercy and Your love to those around me who disappoint me. Help me to love past my hurts and become the person you created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment