Friday, February 11, 2011

Re-thinking the Daily Post

I’m addicted to social media. Well, maybe not addicted, but I do engage in several. I love to encourage people and I have discovered social media to be one arena in which to work. I enjoy the discussions and uplifting blogs available on internet sites. I write almost weekly here at blogspot and I created a fan page for my ministry, Response to Grace, on facebook.

Without fail, I get on facebook at the crack of dawn each morning to write a daily post meant to encourage those who follow. While posting my daily blurb, I cannot help but notice the posts by others usually written late the night before. Some are funny. Others are depressing. Some contain a little more information than I care to know. A few are downright inappropriate.

Sadly, some of the posts I read are full of negativity and discontent. People post complaints about their spouse, children, in-laws, coworkers, and anyone else that seems to upset them. They post what is wrong with their job, their relationships, and everything inbetween. They seem to share whatever is wrong in their lives, but fail to see the blessings that are present. Reading too many such posts can leave a person discouraged and downhearted.

A daily post can reveal a lot about the inner man. What a person writes is most likely what their heart and mind is dwelling on. Naturally, I don’t expect everyone to be posting daily Bible verses to encourage others. But in the same manner, I don’t expect to find self-professed Christians posting content which is depressing or combative. Isn’t the Christian life a journey to allow God to make us more like Him?

I couldn’t help but think on these instructions by the apostle Paul and wonder how it could apply to our internet usage and daily posts.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 [NIV]

In this verse, unwholesome is the Greek word ‘sapros’, which means bad, rotten, or decayed. Can I take the liberty to re-write this verse in accordance with today’s topic? What if it the verse read like the following-

Do not share posts that are rotten and decayed, but only write words that are helpful in encouraging others and supporting them according to their needs, in order that your posts will benefit those who read them.

The author of James reminds us that if we claim to be religious, but cannot keep a tight rein on our tongue, we deceive ourselves. Do you think God expects us to be watchful of our pen, or rather our keyboard, too?

As Christians, our every action should glorify God. What we say, what we do, and even what we post. People will notice if you practice what you preach; and your practice extends to what you share on the internet.

I want to be pleasing in His sight, don’t you? Where social media is concerned, let’s commit to purity. If needed, ask God to renew your mind and then take Paul's advice in Philippians 4.8 and think on things that are noble and good. Refrain from posts that could be considered unwholesome. Let’s be imitators of Christ in all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment