Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Something Pleasing

I found myself searching the aisles for that perfect gift. Valentine's Day was quickly approaching and I had several people I wanted to buy for. I have two beautiful nieces and I wanted to show them I was thinking of them. I also wanted to give something to both of my children; small gifts to honor the holiday and show my love in a tangible way.

Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the holiday offerings at my local store. I desired to give something more than a trite card and a few pieces of candy. I wanted my gift to please the recipient. I wanted to see joy on their face when they opened the package.

I took some time to think about what makes a gift really stand out. Most of the gifts which have touched me most through the years have fallen into one the following categories.

~The gift had sentimental value.
~The gift was chosen with thought and care.
~The gift required a sacrifice. In most cases, it was one of time, not money.
~The gift brought me pleasure.
~Often, the gift was for no other reason than to express love.

As I continued my search, God reminded me of this verse in James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

I finished the day feeling pleased with myself. I was able to find the right gifts for each person on my list. Oh, sweet success! (I was later rewarded with hugs and kisses.) I felt even more pleased because of the reminder God gave me of His gift of love. I felt loved in extravagant ways. Both by my Heavenly Father and by the family He has blessed me with.

Valentine's Day came and went. And then, this morning I opened my Bible to study. My study partner and I are working our way bit by bit through the book of Ephesians. This was our verse of interest today.

For you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light and find out what pleases the Lord. Ephesians 5:8


After all my effort to pick out Valentine gifts that were perfect for my family, my eyes and heart slowly settled in on the last part of this verse. Find out what pleases the Lord.

As Valentine's Day approached, I had searched and planned ways to show my love to my family. But had I done the same for God? I had thought of Him. I even cherished the gentle reminder of His love He provided for me. I had relaxed in the extravagant love I felt that day. But had I taken the time to return His love in a tangible way? I'm sure my heart whispered back to Him when He quickened my mind to the verse in James. But had I responded in more than a mere whisper, a thought that was fleeting?

He has given me the greatest gift of all. In both simple and extravagant ways, He continues to give to me every day. Even that day, He took time to remind me. He reached down into my world with the gentle reminder in James and wrapped me in His arms- even while I rushed through life looking for gifts for others.

Although God doesn't demand of me, He does desire something from me. In return for all He's done, He desires my love, my devotion, my commitment, and my faithfulness. All of these-gifts He desires. So I sat in my thoughts this morning and pondered my questions once again.


~When was the last time I gave God a gift that had real sentimental value?

~When was the last time I presented Him with something that took careful thought and planning?

~When did I last give a gift that was truly sacrifical? That which required time or energy-not merely my money?

~When was the last time I gave simply because I wanted to demonstrate my love, my thanks, my need for Him?

~How often do I take time to present meaningful gifts that please Him?

What about you? Have you searched to know what pleases the Lord? Have you listened as He spoke His desires to your heart? Have you been willing to give Him a gift that brings Him pleasure? Will you today? Will you tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment