Monday, January 17, 2011

Dirty Dishes

I had really looked forward to serving. I was scheduled to waitress at a local seafood restaurant with several volunteers. All of our tips and 10% of the day’s sales would benefit a local women’s shelter directed by a dear friend. We had spread the word far and wide and were expecting large numbers of people to show in support. I couldn’t wait to interact with everyone. Despite the challenge, I envisioned a day of fun and reward.

Unfortunately, things didn’t proceed as I expected. Before the first customers ever arrived, the owner of the restaurant, a big burly fellow, happened upon me leaning against a bar stool. “If you have time to lean, you have time to clean!” he proclaimed. His observation resulted in my being led to the kitchen to do dishes.

What I found waiting in the kitchen wasn’t just one small sink. The kitchen had several sinks piled high with greasy pots and pans. In addition, bowls with discarded shrimp pieces, alligator, and chicken fat needed cleaned as well. This was not at all what I had envisioned. No happy customers. No tips to contribute to the cause; just a lot of dirty dishes and a wire scrub pad.

This wasn’t the first time my idea of ministry and God’s ideas for me differed. He had altered my plans many times before. During those times, I become fully aware that His thoughts are not my own. What I have learned is that He presents me with a simple choice- “Listen and obey” or “Go your own way”.

I could have graciously refused to help with the dishes. Surely they would have to understand. First, it was not what I had agreed to do that day. Furthermore, I was not really dressed in clothes for scrubbing grease. If I simply refused, I could return to the waitress station and start collecting tips. As I stared at the pile of pans, the two cooks watched to witness my reaction.

The seconds felt like minutes. I felt the Lord prompt my spirit first with verses from Colossians and a second from Philippians.

Colossians 3: 17, 14

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father…

Philippians 2: 14-15

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God, without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars…

This day, I chose to listen and obey, and I turned with a smile to take the scrub brush.

What a surprise to discover what had presented as a pile of dirty dishes turned out to be one of the most rewarding days in ministry I have ever had. Not only did I get to scrub countless items clean, I was able to labor beside two faithful men who touched my heart. After witnessing my willingness, the two male cooks had me help by flaying shrimp, frying onion rings and chicken tenders, and preparing plates. Being a witness for Christ had never been so fun. On that day, in the kitchen was where God had needed me most.

Where is God calling you to serve today? Is it all you dreamed it would be or is looking more like a pile of dirty dishes. Whichever the case, do not hesitate. Jump on in with a smile. God leads you to the area He needs you most, and the place God needs you the most is the only place you want to be.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Tracie,
    Im literally bawling as im am reading your blog~ You are such an inspiration to so many people. You touched my heart and amazed me in the Kitchen! Scottie remarked how much you had did and jumped right in to help in so many ways~ We will never understand our impact in this life i am truly convinced. But someday our reward for servanthood will be out of this world. I am truly blessed to have you as a dear friend and sister in the LORD~ You are a blessin to so many! I told you someday we woul impact our world together and You have been an instrument in bringing that to pass~ Thank you so much for your insight keep discipling others to Christ and being a servant is one of the greatest rewards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracie,
    I'm not surprised by His faithfulness or your willingness.

    ReplyDelete