Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Right Choice

"I want everything shut down at 12 p.m. so you can get some sleep."

My daughter and her three friends heard the instructions and agreed. While allowing them to stay up much later than normal, we still wanted them to get to bed at a decent time. Too little sleep results in a cranky pre-teen daugher and this is an occurrence we often try to avoid.

Not being a night owl myself, I ventured toward bed at a much earlier time and left my husband to enforce bedtime for the girls. Things proceeded as planned. Much later from my half-conscious state, I heard the troops shuffle down to the basement. My husband climbed in beside me and I drifted back toward my sweet dreams.

Unfortunately, my dreams were interrupted at 2:30 a.m. when I awoke to whispers and giggling. Unfortunately for the girls, the noise awakened my husband too. One not-too-happy Papa Bear got out of his warm bed to go enforce the bedtime. After stern words, he returned to bed and we lay in silence to see if the girls would disobey again.

As my ears strained to hear, I silently urged my daughter to make the right choice. I knew a consequence was already forthcoming. The fact that the girls were still awake at 2:30 would result in some serious questioning. The hour set for bedtime had been clear. To their error, they had not obeyed fully. If our daughter failed to make the right choice again, I knew the punishments would begin to pile up.

Spiritually, I am faced with countless decisions. Each and every choice I make effects my surroundings on the road of life just ahead. I know God has provided fool proof instructions in His Word. As I read these Truths, I must decide if I will fully obey. Many times, I have stood firm on the precepts in His Word. Other times, I have turned away and chosen a path that looked more inviting.

In times of disobedience, my choices lead to a place of pain and I find myself experiencing the consequences of sin. Even then, I can thankfully turn to God for forgiveness and help. In His love and mercy, He will speak new direction into my life. He will point to the path that clearly leads home. And once again, I get to make a choice.

How many times has the great cloud of witnesses watched me from above and urged me to make the right choice. What I need to continually remind myself is this one truth:

God only gives solutions to be implemented, not suggestions to be considered.

The message found in His Word is the solution. The instruction He provides through my pastor and Godly counsel is part of the same solution. His way is the only path that will lead to life. Any plan I devise on my own is faulty. If I remember His directions are always in my best interest, the right choice is much easier to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment