Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Slippery Slide

As the Puritan water truck came up the driveway, I wondered if it would make it up. I live at the top of a hill and the driveway is a continuous incline to the top. On this particular day, snow and ice covered the drive and made the conditions hazardous. With care, the truck made it to the top and I stepped out on the porch to meet the driver.

As we stood and exchanged greetings, a scary thing happened. The large water truck began to slide down the driveway. Helpless and unsure what to do, the driver watched in horror as his truck picked up speed and continued down the drive. The seconds seemed to drag for hours as we waited to see the outcome of this potential disaster. We both let out a sigh of relief when the truck slid completely off the drive and came to a stop in the snow drift in my front yard.

Although a disaster was averted, the truck driver still had a huge problem on his hands. And really, the driver was not at fault. He had done everything that was expected of him. After assessing the risk, the driver had proceeded up my drive with great caution. He had parked the truck and put on his emergency break. Unfortunately, all his care didn't prevent his truck from sliding in the slippery conditions.

Spiritually speaking, can you recall a time you found yourself in a precarious position because you cautiously proceeded into an area that really should have been avoided altogether? In error, we have enough confidence in our flesh to believe if we venture into dangerous areas with great care we will be able to remain in control. How foolish! Even if we proceed cautiously and apply the break when we think we have reached a stable place, we are still in danger of sliding.

Once the Puritan truck was pulled from my yard and safely on the road again, I assured the driver that skipping my drive completely was acceptable the next time it looked hazardous. I also had a long talk with God. I thanked Him for the ability to feel conviction when He prompts me to stay clear of an area He finds too risky for me. I also asked for wisdom and a desire to simply trust and obey. He knows me better than I know myself. He knows what I can handle and also what I need to avoid so I don't find myself struggling on a slope of compromise. I don't want to live my life on a slippery slide. I want my feet planted on solid ground.

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment