Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Running Shoes

My daughter loves a good challenge. She excels at anything physical. She was born to be an athlete. As she has grown, her adventures in t-ball and kiddie soccer have evolved into more serious sports. And this family takes sports seriously.

Our young athlete has recently taken an interest in track. She is a good sprinter, but also loves the challenge of long distance running. Her father has taken measures to help her in whatever way he can. She has learned the techniques of breathing, attended several clinics, and purchased the all important running shoes.

The shoes alone testify that we take the sport seriously. (Might I add we made a special trip to a specialty store to find them.) While many participants will arrive at the track meet in their normal tennis shoes, our daughter will be wearing special running shoes. The benefits are clear. Her new cleats will allow her feet to grip the pavement and give her an extra advantage. Less chance of slipping, more force behind every stride, and obviously, the needed extra to be at her best. Right?

While I am not entirely convinced of the necessity of her running shoes, I couldn't help draw a spiritual correlation between her preparations and my own. You see, I am also running a race. I have dabbled in the sport for a while now. My parents ran this race and introduced it to me at a very young age. More recently, as I matured a bit, my commitment evolved and I began in earnest to train. Like the apostle Paul, I am determined to make the finish line.

After purchasing special shoes for my daughter, I found myself wondering if I have access to spiritual running shoes. What can I 'lace up' that would help me grip the pavement and keep me from sliding from the track? What spiritual actions (or disciplines) might result in more power in every stride and ensure I endure 'til the very end?

Not every runner running this race will have taken measures to ensure they are at their very best. Many might not be willing to make the sacrifice. You see, running shoes can be a little costly. Despite the sacrifice involved, I am determined to take any means available to ensure I run my best. What measures have you taken to make sure you are running the best race possible?

Get out your running shoes and break them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment